LET'S MAKE FUN, NOT WAR
3 3
Nyacinth

Consumable Suggestions

At the current moment there are three(?) main consumables. Meat for food, water bottles for water, and... oh, wait, it's only two. Then what would a third be? Well, this lies in the health consumable department. Here is a list of suggestions made by me related to consumables; items that are a one-time use in order to achieve a certain goal, such as adding hunger/thirst.

- Bandages and medkits

Bandages and medkits are essential to a survival game such as Oxide. They provide ability to heal actively along with the constant passive healing that comes from hunger and thirst. Here is my recommendation for material cost, amount given, and health healed. 

Bandage: 5 Cloth for 1x, 10sec to craft. +5HP instantly, +10 HP passively over 30 seconds

Medkit: 15 Cloth, 5 Metal Fragments for 1x, 25sec to craft. +20HP instantly, +10HP passively over 15 seconds

Bandages and Medkits both require cloth, which as in my last suggestion thread, I stated that cloth needed to have another way to be gained (hemp plants are a great idea), or even delete cloth from being obtained by animals and going for another sole method such as hemp plants (leather to cloth will still give cloth from animals, just in a different way). Medkits require metal due to being actual first aid kits or syringes, along with balancing issues. Both have an animation to prevent spamming for instant health.

- Food, but not from animals

Yes, currently food doesn't seem to be an issue, but it's not a terrible idea for one reason; food should heal HP, albeit a much smaller amount than actual meds. Therefore, people should have easy access to another type of food—fruit or mushrooms.

Mushrooms can be farmed right next to trees, with a high percent of spawning. They are not as great as a food source as meat, but they do the trick. +2HP instantly, +3HP passively over 15 seconds. +5 Satiation (hunger). They do not have an animation, but they do still have a small cooldown to prevent total spamming.

Berries can be farmed anywhere, but most prominently in the grasslands next to the main monument. Slightly better than mushrooms, but not by much, berries may be used in the future for medkits, if they're added. It would give incentive to go the main monument to farm berries, create more PvP, and balance them out a bit more. +7 Satiation. +3HP instantly, +5HP passively over 40 seconds.

- Bottles should be able to be refilled.

Or rather than the bottles themselves, there should be a refillable water container that can be used to drink water from the ocean or lakes. Of course, this comes with its risks. Without properly sterilizing the water of diseases or other gross things, the player can have a 25% chance to take -10HP over 20 seconds due to infection if they drink a swig of 100mL. They can sterilize this water via campfire.

- Consumables should be able to be used via hotbar.

Self-explanatory, but I don't really like going into my inventory everytime I need a drink or some food because sometimes I'm going to be standing in the open while doing that. Allow edibles to be used via hotbar, where you tap it, and it's eaten/drunk.

That's it so far. Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions upon my suggestions, or questions. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nyacinth said:

At the current moment there are three(?) main consumables. Meat for food, water bottles for water, and... oh, wait, it's only two. Then what would a third be? Well, this lies in the health consumable department. Here is a list of suggestions made by me related to consumables; items that are a one-time use in order to achieve a certain goal, such as adding hunger/thirst.

- Bandages and medkits

Bandages and medkits are essential to a survival game such as Oxide. They provide ability to heal actively along with the constant passive healing that comes from hunger and thirst. Here is my recommendation for material cost, amount given, and health healed. 

Bandage: 5 Cloth for 1x, 10sec to craft. +5HP instantly, +10 HP passively over 30 seconds

Medkit: 15 Cloth, 5 Metal Fragments for 1x, 25sec to craft. +20HP instantly, +10HP passively over 15 seconds

Bandages and Medkits both require cloth, which as in my last suggestion thread, I stated that cloth needed to have another way to be gained (hemp plants are a great idea), or even delete cloth from being obtained by animals and going for another sole method such as hemp plants (leather to cloth will still give cloth from animals, just in a different way). Medkits require metal due to being actual first aid kits or syringes, along with balancing issues. Both have an animation to prevent spamming for instant health.

Yes, currently food doesn't seem to be an issue, but it's not a terrible idea for one reason; food should heal HP, albeit a much smaller amount than actual meds. Therefore, people should have easy access to another type of food—fruit or mushrooms.

Mushrooms can be farmed right next to trees, with a high percent of spawning. They are not as great as a food source as meat, but they do the trick. +2HP instantly, +3HP passively over 15 seconds. +5 Satiation (hunger). They do not have an animation, but they do still have a small cooldown to prevent total spamming.

Berries can be farmed anywhere, but most prominently in the grasslands next to the main monument. Slightly better than mushrooms, but not by much, berries may be used in the future for medkits, if they're added. It would give incentive to go the main monument to farm berries, create more PvP, and balance them out a bit more. +7 Satiation. +3HP instantly, +5HP passively over 40 seconds.

Or rather than the bottles themselves, there should be a refillable water container that can be used to drink water from the ocean or lakes. Of course, this comes with its risks. Without properly sterilizing the water of diseases or other gross things, the player can have a 25% chance to take -10HP over 20 seconds due to infection if they drink a swig of 100mL. They can sterilize this water via campfire.

Self-explanatory, but I don't really like going into my inventory everytime I need a drink or some food because sometimes I'm going to be standing in the open while doing that. Allow edibles to be used via hotbar, where you tap it, and it's eaten/drunk.

That's it so far. Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions upon my suggestions, or questions. 

In survival simulator you could run while having your inventory open, it was a bug but maybe catsbit should add something like that back as a feature

• Like 1

Yeah, if they could do that, that'd really help get down the fact I don't have to stay still while organizing my inventory or consuming something.

20 hours ago, Nyacinth said:

- Bandages and medkits

holy crap ? thats a lot of thought

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, Nyacinth said:

- Bandages and medkits

Sorry, I missed your messages. But now I found them out and I'm surprised how many great ideas these longreads contain. 

Thank you so much for such valuable suggestions and taking your time to describe them! Well noted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad that you appreciate them as I put high effort to each one. All I can ask is that they are considered :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Emo Johnny/Bones said:

um

"um?" wdym umm

yes they should be considered.

do u disagree...

if so, why?

Edited by bjb3n

1 minute ago, bjb3n said:

"um?" wdym umm

yes they should be considered.

do u disagree...

if so, why?

He doesn't disagree. Everyone agrees. It's obvious the devs like the idea and will consider it. That's why there's just a "Um".

• Thanks 1

It's called being polite. "Um," wasn't necessary and was obviously confusing to anyone who doesn't understand the English language and its nuances (plus you know him personally). Legit just a waste of time typing those two letters lmfao why even 

Edited by Nyacinth
Checked something
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nyacinth said:

It's called being polite. "Um," wasn't necessary and was obviously confusing to anyone who doesn't understand the English language and its nuances (plus you know him personally). Legit just a waste of time typing those two letters lmfao why even 

umm

12 minutes ago, Nyacinth said:

you’re a bit strange aint ya buddy ?

26 minutes ago, Emo Johnny/Bones said:

you’re a bit strange aint ya buddy ?

Nyacinth:

"to anyone who doesn't understand the English language and its nuances"

no He is right.

I still have trouble understanding English sometimes.

I still spell English like "Inglish".

thankfully. (*Auto-Correct*)...

Edited by bjb3n

I'm sorry nyacinth or blowjob Ben. 

If you don't understand my English this is not my concern. 

Nyacinth needs to go out and get laid.

If you wish to discuss anything other than forum matters, please use the Discord. 

Thankyou. 

Um

7 hours ago, Nyacinth said:

wasn't necessary and was obviously confusing to anyone who doesn't understand the English language and its nuances

sometimes I think people on here might not know english very well, occasionally it's hard to tell what they're talking about